Karin Simpson was one of the founding members of the Creative Airdrie Society. She had a very strong passion for the arts, having previously served on the board of the Alberta Foundation for the Arts and as a member of the City of Airdrie Community Advisory Board. Karin passed away in 2014. The board of Creative Airdrie voted unanimously to create a scholarship in her honour.
The scholarship is intended for a graduating student living in and attending an Airdrie school who has been accepted in to post-secondary education in the arts in any field including but not limited to visual arts, drama, music, musical theatre, film, new media, literature, design and dance.
One scholarship of $500 will be awarded to the most eligible candidate.
- be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident,
- be an Alberta resident – the applicant or the applicant’s parent(s) must have resided in Alberta during the qualifying grades,
- have completed the requirements for high school graduation in Alberta,
- graduating from a high school in Airdrie.
- plan to enroll full-time in an accredited Alberta post-secondary institution, and entering the first year of a degree or diploma program in a field of study supporting the arts and culture industry including but not limited to: visual arts, drama, music, musical theatre, film, new media, literature, design and dance.
- demonstrate outstanding qualities in their chosen artistic field with academic excellence and involvement in school and extra-curricular activities.
Note: Relatives of the CAS board of directors are not eligible.
Selection: The Creative Airdrie Board of Directors will select an award recipient based on a combination of academic achievement, artistic merit, school involvement and community service.
Applicants are asked, in two pages or less, to include a summary of their artistic capabilities, talents and ambitions. Tell us why the arts matter and what you hope to do with your arts education in the future.
Visual artists are asked to include a maximum of five visuals (jpeg or PDF) of their work with the email application.
Performing artists are asked to include a link to a maximum of three performance pieces.
Three references are required:
- One reference from the School Principal or school representative,
- One reference, ideally from a teacher, counselor or coach, and
- One other reference from someone who is not connected with the school, e.g. employer, mentor, representative from volunteer organization
Deadline: June 1st 2107. Award recipient to be announced end of June.
Disbursement: The award is disbursed in September once confirmation of full-time enrollment in post-secondary studies is provided.
| 2016 |
The winner of the 2016 Karin Simpson Memorial Scholarship – Connor Wilde
| 2015 |